Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rc planes -- wah re wah technology.

3 posters

Go down

rc planes -- wah re wah technology. Empty rc planes -- wah re wah technology.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:02 pm

older's bought an rc, battery operated, plane from rcbazaar.com: this one

i did not think much of it -- after all, i thought, a battery operated motor could get how powerful? but when the ac-motor driven propeller swung into action, i felt a bit frightened: by the noise and strong gust of air.

so i thought that was the end of it. he'd fly it (has found a spot in the suburbs), crash it (thermocol and plastic) and be done with it. but today he hooked his rc unit to an online simulator, calibrated his rc unit and started simulated-flying for practise. Shocked simulator at this site. even i got to fly it (it felt totally real!). he is taking it to college to fly it in his campus and at the local rc club grounds.

he wants to join a flying school in his college town after 2nd year. let's see.

and back in my days there were only those chuck gliders, rubber band propellers and fuel engines (castor oil plus ethanol), wired planes (that you could fly in a circle with the rudder in wire-control) -- all made of balsa wood. i never flew an rc model (wasn't "that" interested).

Back to top Go down

rc planes -- wah re wah technology. Empty Re: rc planes -- wah re wah technology.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:52 am

so the older made a few modifications to it (with tips from an rc forum). he drilled 2 holes in the nose for ventilation and cut out a heat sink from an old motherboard and attached it to the ESC (electronic speed controller for the brushless motor) of the plane. yesterday i accompanied him on his flight.

takeoff & flight:

landing:

Back to top Go down

rc planes -- wah re wah technology. Empty Re: rc planes -- wah re wah technology.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:15 am

so i accompanied him again yesterday. he made loops in the air. it was ethereal watching the plane cut loops against the backdrop of the evening sky. his next step is to fit an FPV (first person view) camera on it in his college town. that will enable him to fly longer distances and further away with the help of goggles that will beam the FPV camera's view (the RC has a range of 900 metres). encouraged by his progress, i too have become a little ambitious. i want him to convert it into a drone. we are going to bomb the goat-killing pakis -- no second thoughts about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:16 am

I see the beginnings of Hoozay Sons & Co, drone-makers of the nation.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:39 am

Nice. I got my son an rc helicopter for christmas last year. He was too petrified to fly it so I helped him out and crashed it on the very first day. "Thanks for the help, Dad". I read that it's common for rc planes to break and replacement parts can be obtained from several sources. Bought the broken parts from Ebay but never got around to fixing the fucking thing. It all went into the garbage recently.

I like the sound of Hoozay Sons & Co, drone makers of the nation.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:47 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I see the beginnings of Hoozay Sons & Co, drone-makers of the nation.
haha, yes. Cool 

Bittu wrote:Nice. I got my son an rc helicopter for christmas last year. He was too petrified to fly it so I helped him out and crashed it on the very first day. "Thanks for the help, Dad". I read that it's common for rc planes to break and replacement parts can be obtained from several sources. Bought the broken parts from Ebay but never got around to fixing the fucking thing. It all went into the garbage recently.

I like the sound of Hoozay Sons & Co, drone makers of the nation.
yes, replacement parts can be obtained from several sources. his FPV jig, he is procuring from a different source. he also did not use the propeller that he got with the plane (it's moulded plastic and not balanced to perfection). he got a better replacement from a different source, a toggle and used cellophane tape to balance it. btw, i too had suggested to my kid that he should start with a rc helicopter. he said helicopters were not for beginners for they had too many controls.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:00 pm

This is fascinating. This technology seems to have gotten much better in the last 10 years. FPV camera sounds like a great idea, particularly if he wants to go on to flying lessons.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down