Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is this difference attributable to that between hindus and muslims?

5 posters

Go down

is this difference attributable to that between hindus and muslims? Empty is this difference attributable to that between hindus and muslims?

Post by michelle2 Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:52 am

The percentage of Bangladeshis defecating in the open dropped from 19 percent in 2000 to just 3 percent in 2012, while nearly half the India’s 1.2 billion people still resort to streets and fields as their toilet of choice.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

is this difference attributable to that between hindus and muslims? Empty Re: is this difference attributable to that between hindus and muslims?

Post by truthbetold Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:59 am

Michell's/swapna/flimflam
Returning to your favorite subject.
help us understand why?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

is this difference attributable to that between hindus and muslims? Empty Re: is this difference attributable to that between hindus and muslims?

Post by michelle2 Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:52 am

truthbetold wrote:Michell's/swapna/flimflam
help us understand why?

SoothBeSold,

explain to me why:

1) you people - hindus - don't defecate in a toilet even when the toilet is given to you free of cost; could it be because it's "ashuddham" to defecate inside a house or inside anything that might look like a part of a house?

2) you don't clean your own toilets; could it be because you assigned the task of cleaning your toilets, often with bare hands, to an entire segment of your society whom you call "the untouchables," generation after generation, for the last 3500 years?

read this article and take a good look at the present-day photograph of a northindian woman extracting feces from a hole in the wall of a house in delhi. notice that the hole is accessible from the outside, so that the woman never has to set foot in the house, for she and what she touches are "ashuddham."

notice also that the container into which the poor woman is scooping the feces is a permeable reed basket.

3) you wish indians to be known as hindus, when the most prominent legacy of the hindus is the caste system, and the excreta that go with it. are you surprised that non-hindu indians don't want to be called "hindus?"

Sooth, is "india shining?" or is "india shitting" or should it be "hindus shitting" and "hindus stinking?"

Sooth, help me understand.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:19 am

truthbetold wrote:Michell's/swapna/flimflam
help us understand why?

"help us understand why," not "help us understand why?"

"help us understand why" is not a question, it's a request; therefore, it's incorrect to end it with a question mark.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Your illogical generalization on an entire community is like saying "Syrian Christians have two ears; donkeys have two ears; hence syrian christians are donkeys".

Poverty is the main problem in India. Go to Tuticorin and see how many fishermen (many of whom are christians) crap on the beach in the mornings.

And if you really think about it, slavery was brought on by the Christians who for centuries had treated African slaves worse than the untouchables. Apartheid was not a Hindu concept.

You are a snob.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:39 pm

When poverty/food is main/utmost need/priority, hygiene becomes secondary or later. 

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:41 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Your illogical generalization on an entire community is like saying "Syrian Christians have two ears; donkeys have two ears; hence syrian christians are donkeys".

Poverty is the main problem in India. Go to Tuticorin and see how many fishermen (many of whom are christians) crap on the beach in the mornings.

And if you really think about it, slavery was brought on by the Christians who for centuries had treated African slaves worse than the untouchables. Apartheid was not a Hindu concept.

You are a snob.

read the article i linked, and note the difference between india, where nearly 50% of the population defecate in the open, and bangladesh, where only 3% do. both countries are poor. can the difference in open defecation be attributed to the difference in religions, hinduism and islam?

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:21 pm

michelle2 wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Your illogical generalization on an entire community is like saying "Syrian Christians have two ears; donkeys have two ears; hence syrian christians are donkeys".

You are a snob.

read the article i linked, and note the difference between india, where nearly 50% of the population defecate in the open, and bangladesh, where only 3% do. both countries are poor. can the difference in open defecation be attributed to the difference in religions, hinduism and islam?

Who goes around taking census on the number of people who defecate in public to come up with believable statistics? Ahmad might be exaggerating his findings since 3% sounds too low and 50% too high. That said, this unfortunate practice has more to do with poverty and culture than religion. I have seen cops urinate on the streets in India. Changing behavior is not easy unless there are penalties such as fines or imprisonment. No politician in India will go for that since it will be viewed as being anti-poor. When it comes to India, Hindus, Christians, Muslims etc are all equal opportunity defecators.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:12 pm

Ya, we Hindus are not ashamed of our shit. Each of us is a manifestation of the divine, so our bodily wastes are equally precious. What better way to commune with the Godhead than to evacuate those wastes under the starry (or sunny) skies?? Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, shit to dust etc.

Indoor plumbing is an abomination of the godless West.All this looking down on public defecation is a crassly commercial PR campaign funded by makers of sanitaryware.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:00 am

goodcitizn wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

You are a snob.

Who goes around taking census on the number of people who defecate in public to come up with believable statistics?

** in this case, the world bank. it may not have taken a census, but probably collected sample statistics. other orgs that may collect such statistics: the w.h.o., u.n.i.d.o., the asian development bank.

Ahmad might be exaggerating his findings since 3% sounds too low and 50% too high.

** ah, the statistics are wrong because you don't like the inferences! i remember your using the word "illogical" in this thread.

That said, this unfortunate practice has more to do with poverty and culture than religion.

** still don't understand? india and bangladesh are about equally poor, so it's reasonable to attribute the difference in open defecation to some factor other than poverty. the obvious other factor is religion.

I have seen cops urinate on the streets in India.

** surprised? you just reinforced my argument! ("even cops urinate on the streets of india!") they were most likely hindus, certainly indians, not bangladeshis.

Changing behavior is not easy unless there are penalties such as fines or imprisonment.

** pure genius!

When it comes to India, Hindus, Christians, Muslims etc are all equal opportunity defecators.

** the evidence contradicts that contention. given that india and bangladesh are about equally poor, and both are tropical, south asian countries, the stark difference between india's and bangladesh's open defecation data are likely to represent differences between hindus and muslims. similar differences are likely to apply to hindus, muslims, and people of other religions within india.

see ** above for my response.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:02 am

michelle2 wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

You are a snob.

Who goes around taking census on the number of people who defecate in public to come up with believable statistics?

** in this case, the world bank. it may not have taken a census, but probably collected sample statistics. other orgs that may collect such statistics: the w.h.o., u.n.i.d.o., the asian development bank.

Ahmad might be exaggerating his findings since 3% sounds too low and 50% too high.

** ah, the statistics are wrong because you don't like the inferences! i remember your using the word "illogical" in this thread.

That said, this unfortunate practice has more to do with poverty and culture than religion.

** still don't understand? india and bangladesh are about equally poor, so it's reasonable to attribute the difference in open defecation to some factor other than poverty. the obvious other factor is religion.

I have seen cops urinate on the streets in India.

** surprised? you just reinforced my argument! ("even cops urinate on the streets of india!") they were most likely hindus, certainly indians, not bangladeshis.

Changing behavior is not easy unless there are penalties such as fines or imprisonment.

** pure genius!

When it comes to India, Hindus, Christians, Muslims etc are all equal opportunity defecators.

** the evidence contradicts that contention. given that india and bangladesh are about equally poor, and both are tropical, south asian countries, the stark difference between india's and bangladesh's open defecation data are likely to represent differences between hindus and muslims. similar differences are likely to apply to hindus, muslims, and people of other religions within india.

see ** above for my response.

correction: u.n.d.p., not u.n.i.d.o.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down