Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ramayana Quiz

+3
Obnoxious
pravalika nanda
indophile
7 posters

Go down

Ramayana Quiz Empty Ramayana Quiz

Post by indophile Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Grading policy.

1 correct ---- D
2 correct ---- C
3 correct ---- B
4 correct ---- A
All correct --- A+

All questions are related to Sundara Kanda in Ramayana (kaun banega karorpati type questions).

1.      During her conversation with Hanuman after he finds her in Ashoka Vana, how much time does Seeta give Rama to come save her?

2.       What is the name of Vibhishana’s daughter who routinely gives Seeta information on communications between Ravana and Vibhishana?

3.   When Hanuman offers Seeta a ride on his back to fly back to Rama, she refuses. She gives four reasons for her refusal. Give at least two of those four reasons.

4.     When Hanuman meets Seeta he tells her that Rama has eschewed two items since losing her in the forest. What are those two items?

5.      A famous pauranic character’s son comes in the form of a crow to bother Seeta and tears her skin and makes her bleed. Who is that famous pauranic character?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Ramayana Quiz Empty Re: Ramayana Quiz

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:38 pm

indophile wrote:Grading policy.

1 correct ---- D
2 correct ---- C
3 correct ---- B
4 correct ---- A
All correct --- A+

All questions are related to Sundara Kanda in Ramayana (kaun banega karorpati type questions).

1.      During her conversation with Hanuman after he finds her in Ashoka Vana, how much time does Seeta give Rama to come save her?
**One year.

2.       What is the name of Vibhishana’s daughter who routinely gives Seeta information on communications between Ravana and Vibhishana?

3.   When Hanuman offers Seeta a ride on his back to fly back to Rama, she refuses. She gives four reasons for her refusal. Give at least two of those four reasons.
** I can think of a hundred, but will let it pass.

4.     When Hanuman meets Seeta he tells her that Rama has eschewed two items since losing her in the forest. What are those two items?
**Mom's visiting me and incidentally is reading the Kamba Ramayana. I'm guessing onions and garlic.

5.      A famous pauranic character’s son comes in the form of a crow to bother Seeta and tears her skin and makes her bleed. Who is that famous pauranic character?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:35 am

1. 2 months.
2. thrijata?
3. a. Ravana has challenged Rama, so it was proper for Rama to kill Ravana.
    b. Hanuman was just a messenger, he is not allowed to steal Seetha.

I get D Sad

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:25 am

1 correct ---- D
2 correct ---- C
3 correct ---- B
4 correct ---- A
All correct --- A+

#5-- Jatayu?

(On #3, I am assuming it is not because she is conscious of her weight?Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:10 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

1 correct ---- D
2 correct ---- C
3 correct ---- B
4 correct ---- A
All correct --- A+

**One year. ------------------------------------------ No

** I can think of a hundred, but will let it pass. ---------------------------- No

**Mom's visiting me and incidentally is reading the Kamba Ramayana. I'm guessing onions and garlic.--------- No

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:15 am

Obnoxious wrote:1. 2 months. ---------------------- No (the question is what time limit does SEETA set?)
2. thrijata? ------------------------ No (trijata was one of the guards around Seeta, but not Vibhishana's daughter, at least according to Valmiki Ramayana)
3. a. Ravana has challenged Rama, so it was proper for Rama to kill Ravana. ------- Okay, will accept that.
    b. Hanuman was just a messenger, he is not allowed to steal Seetha. ------------- No.

I get D Sad

Actually you got 1/2 point based on partial credit for # 3.  Shocked

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:17 am

Kris wrote:

1 correct ---- D
2 correct ---- C
3 correct ---- B
4 correct ---- A
All correct --- A+

#5-- Jatayu? ------------------- No

(On #3, I am assuming it is not because she is conscious of her weight?Smile ---------- No

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:19 am

Hint.

You may check the Ramayana - Sundara Kanda at:

www.valmikiramayan.net

www.valmikiramayan.net

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:45 am

1 correct ---- D
2 correct ---- C
3 correct ---- B
4 correct ---- A
All correct --- A+

1. Two months. because ravana gives seetha two months to change her mind and marry him.
3. a) it is his duty b) prove his worth with ravana
4. Jayanth, son of indra. We did an entire show titled the crow, the crime and rama's reasons, which itself is a blog. that's how I know.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:06 am

Impedimenta wrote:

1 correct ---- D
2 correct ---- C
3 correct ---- B
4 correct ---- A
All correct --- A+

1. Two months. because ravana gives seetha two months to change her mind and marry him. ---------- No. Ravana's deadline would expire in two months. The question is - what is Seeta's deadline that she asked Hanuman to convey to Rama?

3. a) it is his duty b) prove his worth with ravana --------- Both answers pretty much say the same thing. So you get 1/2 point for this one.

4. Jayanth, son of indra. We did an entire show titled the crow, the crime and rama's reasons, which itself is a blog. that's how I know. ------- Son of Indra is correct. You get full 1 point for this one.

Score: 1 1/2 points. Call it D+ or C-.  Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:41 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

1 correct ---- D
2 correct ---- C
3 correct ---- B
4 correct ---- A
All correct --- A+

**One year.

** I can think of a hundred, but will let it pass.

**Mom's visiting me and incidentally is reading the Kamba Ramayana. I'm guessing onions and garlic.

Aaaha. So, you are dropping the pretension that you are a telugu. Unless you claim that your mother is a tamil and you are a telugu.

Last edited by b_A on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:45 am

1 correct ---- D
2 correct ---- C
3 correct ---- B
4 correct ---- A
All correct --- A+

1. One month
2. Trijata
3. i) It will be a blot on Rama's valor. ii) It is not kshatriya dharmam.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:00 pm

b_A wrote:

1 correct ---- D
2 correct ---- C
3 correct ---- B
4 correct ---- A
All correct --- A+

1. One month ------------------ Correct
2. Trijata ----------------------- No
3. i) It will be a blot on Rama's valor. ii) It is not kshatriya dharmam. ------------ No

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:05 pm

ANSWERS 
Valmiki Ramayana reference number for the verse with the answer is provided along with the answer.  

1.      During her conversation with Hanuman after he finds her in Ashoka Vana, how much time does Seeta give Rama to come save her?

One month (5-38-67).

Nala (5-37-11).

(a) Hanuman's speed may bewilder her and she may fall off his back in the ocean. (5-37-43).

(b)  Seeta will not touch, on her own, any man other than her husband Rama.

(c)   Hanuman might put both in danger, because the bad guys may come after them, and Hanuman has to fight them while protecting her. That could be very hard, and not a good choice. (5-37-46, 47, and 48). However if he does kill all the bad guys, then Rama's greatness will be lowered. (5-37-55).

(d)  If Rama takes her after killing Ravana and his relatives, that will be proper and the right thing to do. (5-37-62)

Meat and liquor. (5-36-41).

5.      A famous pauranic character’s son comes in the form of a crow to bother Seeta and tears her skin and makes her bleed. Who is that famous pauranic character?

Indra. (5-38-28).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:13 pm

ram was not a teetotaler?

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:49 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:ram was not a teetotaler?

Yes, that's what Valmiki Ramayana says.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:18 pm

indophile wrote:

wow, you put up the answers already, before I got to show off what I read!

yeah, vijji bagchi, in fact in the book it even says that rama hunted and cooked meat for himself and his wife!
so they both ate meat, am guessing they both must've had wine with it.
he gives up meat and drink and eats only fruits and leaves apparently.
ravana tells seetha that she has two mos to come around and make out with him or he'll cook her and have her for dinner.
so seethe tells hanumantha that she's going to die in a month just to put some pressure on rama. sorta like my mom tells me an appointment is at 10 am when it is actually at 11 am. he was probably a slow-poke in reality.
looks like seetha is nepali, so yellow fever was strong amongst the indian lads even back then. 

indophile, q for you: how is kubera, the richest guy ever, related to ravana?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:32 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
indophile wrote:

yeah, vijji bagchi, in fact in the book it even says that rama hunted and cooked meat for himself and his wife!
ravana tells seetha that she has two mos to come around and make out with him or he'll cook her and have her for dinner.
so seethe tells hanumantha that she's going to die in a month just to put some pressure on rama. sorta like my mom tells me an appointment is at 10 am when it is actually at 11 am. he was probably a slow-poke in reality.
looks like seetha is nepali, so yellow fever was strong amongst the indian lads even back then. 

LOL@ at the way you answered.

I looked up. you are right. Mithila, Janaka's kingdom, is in the present day Nepal. So, Sita is a Nepali (trying to imagine a stunningly beautiful Nepali Sita)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:34 pm

indophile wrote:

'Madhu' may not mean liquor, no? Were women drinking madhu too?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:41 pm

ya they were kshatriyas so i understand eating meat... however just heard he ate beef as well. when did we stop eating beef?

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:24 am

Kinnera wrote:
indophile wrote:

'Madhu' may not mean liquor, no? Were women drinking madhu too?
Yes, "madhu" can mean a sweet or even honey (madhu-kara = bee). But the verb that follows "madhu" in the verse makes it mean liquor/wine. It says "na madhu sevate." If it said "na madhu khadati" or "na madhu bhakshyati" we can take it as simple sweet. "na madhu sevate" (in Telugu madhuvunu sevinchuta ledu) can only mean "not indulging in wine/liquor."

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:48 am

Kinnera wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
indophile wrote:

LOL@ at the way you answered.

I looked up. you are right. Mithila, Janaka's kingdom, is in the present day Nepal. So, Sita is a Nepali (trying to imagine a stunningly beautiful Nepali Sita)
Also don't forget the possibility of two places having the same name, one in the present day India (north India, specifically) and the other in the present day Nepal. Considering the climatic and other calamities in Mithila described in the Ramayana, such as the long term lack of rain and arid conditions etc., I would place Janaka's Mithila in India (north India).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:16 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
indophile wrote:

Kubera and Ravana are half-brothers. Ravana was born to Vishravasu through his deamon wife Kaikasi, and Kubera was born to his Yaksha wife (forgot her name). Ravana defeated Kubera in battle and grabbed the Lanka City and the Pushpaka Vimana (Kubera's personal plane).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down