Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revisiting my earlier comments on Manusmriti and Yajnavalkyasmriti etc.

2 posters

Go down

Revisiting my earlier comments on Manusmriti and Yajnavalkyasmriti etc. Empty Revisiting my earlier comments on Manusmriti and Yajnavalkyasmriti etc.

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:43 am

As I had indicated in the past in several blogs that the real Vedic sage Manu had nothing to do with the smriti bearing his name, i.e. Manusmriti, and that it is just a fake text compiled by someone else later using the famous Vedic sage Manu's name to popularize his own / personal spurious and Veda-contradicting agenda on castes etc. 

Similarly, the name of the great philosopher Yajnavalkya in the Upanisads  (Brihadaranyaka Upanisad or BU, specifically) is used spuriously by someone else to create the Yajnavalkyasmriti (Y-S) which basically is a post-Manusmriti text and represents the diluted version of Manusmriti and even includes a number of latest social customs / traditions in the past few centuries. What is pushed in the name of Yajnavalkya in the Y-S seems quite in contradiction to what he propounds in the BU establishing him as a great Upanisadic sage / philosopher.

Incidentally, even the name Veda Vyasa for the author of the Mahabharata (which includes the Bhagavad Gita, BG – 700 verses) may not be the same Veda Vyasa as the author of the Bhagavad Purana (which includes the Uddhava Gita, UG – 1024 verses), because the emphasis on philosophies and theologies etc. seems in places (verses) quite different, even mutually-contradicting, in the BG and the UG.  
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Revisiting my earlier comments on Manusmriti and Yajnavalkyasmriti etc. Empty Re: Revisiting my earlier comments on Manusmriti and Yajnavalkyasmriti etc.

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:51 am

Even the Karunanidhi in Miss Mary may not be the same Karunanidhi who became the Chief Minister.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Revisiting my earlier comments on Manusmriti and Yajnavalkyasmriti etc. Empty Re: Revisiting my earlier comments on Manusmriti and Yajnavalkyasmriti etc.

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:57 am

Hellsangel wrote:Even the Karunanidhi in Miss Mary may not be the same Karunanidhi who became the Chief Minister.
Considering the Karunanidhi (actor in "Miss Mary") has only a few movies credited to his name on the Internet, even though he is / was supposed to have a lifelong career as a movie actor?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:34 am

Incidentally, the Uddava Gita has 1041 verses (not 1024 verses, as indicated earlier) and its emphasis is on renouncing everything (Renunciation), whereas the Bhagavad Gita (in 700 verses) considers Action supreme and the means to Liberation by “forsaking” the fruit / reward of the action.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:54 am

Just saw a post (in lecture form) on Uddhava Gita (UG) on Facebook and it reminded me of this blog.

Uddhava Gita (UG), IMO, is just a kind of diversion from the original Bhagavad Gita (BG) by someone else (not the original author Veda Vyasa of the Mahabharata and BG, but instead using the same name, Veda Vyasa, as the author of Bhagavad Purana and UG).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down