Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recipe recos

5 posters

Go down

Recipe recos Empty Recipe recos

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:08 am

Only the tried and tested ones.

I made this simple and easy beans fry the other day. Loved it! The pappula podi made all the difference.

http://www.sailusfood.com/2012/05/07/beans-fry-recipe-indian-vegetarian/

Tip: It helps to have this to make fresh powders http://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-Electric-Coffee-Grinder-Stainless/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426169246&sr=8-1&keywords=krups+coffee+grinder

Back to top Go down

Recipe recos Empty Re: Recipe recos

Post by ashaNirasha Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:10 pm

You can use that podi for any kind of simple, dry vegetable fry. I use it for beans, okra, dondakaya (tindoora?). Mix a little water, make it pasty, and use it as a stuffing for small egg plants or Brussel sprouts.

I get packs of various podis from India, from time to time. Some with coconut (kobbari podi), some without (senaga podi). The ones with coconut lose their freshness within 1-2 months, so I end up using them this way, and mix  them up with assorted veggies. They are actually meant for idlis, or maybe rice with ghee, but that never happens.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Ya, i guess i can use that podi for other dry fries too. Will try that. Incidentally, i made this today. Came out good.

http://www.sailusfood.com/2010/06/17/dondakaya-kobbari-vepudu-tindora-coconut-stir-fry-5/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Tried this today. Came out fine. Easy to make. Tasted more like Khadi, but with cauliflower in it instead of the besan balls. I use not more than 1tsp of oil for any curry, just enough to cover the seasonings. So instead of the 2 tbsp of oil that she suggested, i used only one tsp. It was a li'l dry while i was frying the besan, but it made no difference. The curry tasted good. Had it with rice (instead of quinoa) today.

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2014/05/21/cauliflower-yogurt-gravy/

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:10 pm

Vareva! (pun intended for those who watch Telugu cooking shows).  Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:22 pm

indophile wrote:Vareva! (pun intended for those who watch Telugu cooking shows).  Smile
Yeah, varevah guy is good too. I try his recipes and they come out fine. Will post when i try any of his recipes in future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:26 am

I made this yesterday. Yum yum yummy! Very tasty and easy to make. I used costco's frozen boneless, skinless Atlantic Salmon. Made it with coconut milk from the tin/can instead of making my own. I make my own tamarind extract in a bulk and freeze it in small snack bags. It lasts for months. Used that. I substituted onions for shallots at the end. It came out well.

http://malluspice.blogspot.com/2009/01/thenga-aracha-meen-curry-fish-curry.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:26 am

Tomorrow is Ugadi. I still haven't decided what specials to make from this big list of Ugadi recipes:

http://www.sailusfood.com/2014/03/27/ugadi-2014-telugu-festivals-recipes/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:28 pm

Nothing fancy. Simple plantain fry. yum!

http://www.sailusfood.com/2011/11/01/aratikaya-vepudu-raw-plantain-fry-recipe/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:36 pm

A healthy Ada/dasa recipe. Tastes good, is filling and healthy! 

Urad dal: 1/4 cup
Chana/Bengal gram dal: 1/4 cup
Green gram/moong dal: 1/4 cup
Toor dal: 1/4 cup
Brown rice: 1/2 cup
Oats (steel cut): 1/2 cup (or can use 1 cup of brown rice instead of oats)

Soak and grind somewhat coarsely along with some coconut powder, jeera, green chillies, red chillies, curry leaves and salt. Doesn't need fermentation. Make it into a little thicker batter than dosa batter and spread on a hot tava like the dosas. Put a few drops of coconut oil and turn to the other side when done on one side. Eat it with avial or chutney or whatever you want to.

Back to top Go down

Recipe recos Empty Thai Red Curry

Post by seven Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:05 pm

This is my signature dish and everyone loves it.

Ingredients:

1.       All vegetables that you like (chopped):
Zucchinis, Carrots, Red, yellow, green bell peppers, Mushrooms and Firm Tofu

2.       Coconut milk
3.       Thai Basil leaves
4.       Cilantro
5.       Grated ginger (optional)
6.       Finely chopped tomatoes (optional)

To cook:

Add very little oil in a pan and sauté all vegetables. Add zucchinis first as they take longer to cook followed by green bell pepper.
Add mushroom and red/yellow bell peppers a little later as they cook very fast.

Add little salt and cook for another min or so (just so the vegetables are not too soft).
Remove and keep aside.

In the same pan, add coconut milk + Red Thai curry paste (available in Safeway) + Thai basil leaves.
The basil leaves are the key ingredient. Add a few leaves and decide if you like the intensity of smell and then add more (or not).

Let it come to a boil and add the (partially) cooked vegetables and let it simmer for 5 min.

Use cilantro for garnishing and serve hot with rice.

Now, when you have more time at hand, do 2 extra steps:

After sautéing the veggies and setting aside, in the same pan add a teaspoon oil + grated ginger (when oil is hot enough) + finely chopped tomatoes.
Add a little salt and when the tomatoes are cooked completely add the coconut milk plus Thai red curry paste and basil leaves.

Happy Cooking!!!

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:32 pm

an indian couple i know are staunch vegetarians, and also love thai food, to the point that they began making the food at home, with store bought red curry paste of course.. until they went out with someone asian and learned that there is fish in pretty much all thai sauces by default… the wife ditched thai food altogether… husband still tries pad thai and other stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:51 pm

oh. i just checked the bottle i have and it doesn't mention fish in the ingredients. i get it from safeway. it's called thai kitchen. gluten free. 

it says - red chilli pepper, garlic, lemongrass, galanjal (Thai ginger), salt, shallot, spices and kaffir lime. it smells non-fishy too. 

aren't they supposed to disclose all ingredients on the bottle. i'm unlikely to stop using it even if it turns out they have fish in it but i'd like to know for sure.

seven

Back to top Go down

Recipe recos Empty fruit salad

Post by seven Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:11 pm

Now i eat this as lunch and after dinner dessert too. 

Ingredients:

apple
mandarin
red grapes
strawberries
Lime
greek yogurt
honey

or add your fav fruits. i sometimes add banana when i'm using custard and not yougurt.

cut apple and put it in a bowl. Add lime juice immediately to keep it from browning. add other fruits. 
stir greek yogurt and add to the mix. coat honey. 

refrigerate for 3-4 hours so it's nicely blended and cold. eat cold.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:11 pm

seven wrote:Now i eat this as lunch and after dinner dessert too. 

Ingredients:

apple
mandarin
red grapes
strawberries
Lime
greek yogurt
honey

or add your fav fruits. i sometimes add banana when i'm using custard and not yougurt.

cut apple and put it in a bowl. Add lime juice immediately to keep it from browning. add other fruits. 
stir greek yogurt and add to the mix. coat honey. 

refrigerate for 3-4 hours so it's nicely blended and cold. eat cold.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:58 pm

uRecipe recos Image13

Cherttinad Urlai Roast/Potato Roast- Made with freshly roasted and ground spices. From Kannammacooks.com. It seems a little spicy. Tastes good. 

http://www.kannammacooks.com/chettinad-urlai-roast-tamilnadu-potato-roast/

Edit: Actually, the masala is spicy, but the potatoes seem bland.

Last edited by Kinnera on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Appalamma Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:02 pm

If you are on Facebook, go to Euphoric Delights group. They post plenty of recipes there. Some are meh, some are quite good.

Appalamma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:05 pm

Appalamma wrote:If you are on Facebook, go to Euphoric Delights group. They post plenty of recipes there. Some are meh, some are quite good.
Thanks Apps. Will check that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:25 pm

looks good...  i also made roasted alu today, sorta accidentally. made alu-onion tomato sabzi in crockpot y'day. Forgot to take it out in the night, and forgot to turn it off. The result was half stuck half roasted dried up potatoes. totally dug it for breakfast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:looks good...  i also made roasted alu today, sorta accidentally. made alu-onion tomato sabzi in crockpot y'day. Forgot to take it out in the night, and forgot to turn it off. The result was half stuck half roasted dried up potatoes. totally dug it for breakfast.
ouch@the accidental roast. I got my new slow cooker. Tried dal makhani. Came out well.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:50 pm

Kinnera wrote:uRecipe recos Image13

Cherttinad Urlai Roast/Potato Roast- Made with freshly roasted and ground spices. From Kannammacooks.com. It seems a little spicy. Tastes good. 

I like her recipes, also her notes, explanations.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:59 am

Kinnera wrote:uRecipe recos Image13

we too made baby potatoes roast today. as a departure we used only panch phoron and NO ginger-garlic paste or any other masala (save bay leaves and tomatoes). turned out yummy!

Recipe recos 2016-029

true. i felt the same about urlai roast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:44 am

brie wrote:

Yeah, it was. so to the remaining curry, I added some tomato paste, water and salt, punctured the potatoes with fork and let it cook in the slow cooker on low for 3 hrs. I know, I spent a whole lot of time making the roast, but ended up modifying it into something totally different :-(.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:48 am

Kinnera wrote:
brie wrote:

Yeah, it was. so to the remaining curry, I added some tomato paste, water and salt, punctured the potatoes with fork and let it cook in the slow cooker on low for 3 hrs. I know, I spent a whole lot of time making the roast, but ended up modifying it into something totally different :-(.

lol, good thinking. try it with panch phoron too (google it for the ingredients).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:02 am

brie wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
brie wrote:

lol, good thinking. try it with panch phoron too (google it for the ingredients).
Spices wasn't the problem (though i'd have gone easy on the spices if i made it again. I go by the recipe accurately the first time, measuring everything, to get the authentic taste, but adjust it according to our tastes the next time around). Bland potatoes was the problem. I don't think i'll make this curry again. 

PS: The curry tasted fine with curd rice. Maybe I should've made tomato rasam to go along with it. But again, what's the point? After all the effort, it isn't a stand alone curry. 
I got carried away be the pic that you posted in the other thread and made it :-). The pic looked so good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:33 am

Kinnera wrote:
brie wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
brie wrote:

Spices wasn't the problem (though i'd have gone easy on the spices if i made it again. I go by the recipe accurately the first time, measuring everything, to get the authentic taste, but adjust it according to our tastes the next time around). Bland potatoes was the problem. I don't think i'll make this curry again. 

PS: The curry tasted fine with curd rice. Maybe I should've made tomato rasam to go along with it. But again, what's the point? After all the effort, it isn't a stand alone curry. 
I got carried away be the pic that you posted in the other thread and made it :-). The pic looked so good.
we used much less masala (compared to what i see in your pics) but potatoes and boiled eggs are like that -- they don't absorb much flavour and potatoes absorb a lot of oil. either you love starch or don't.  i love it, lol. fluffy mashed potatoes with lots of pepper is my favourite.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:17 pm

Tried and tasted. Will recommend it. Is a pretty healthy recipe with low GI, so is very filling. Has besan (protein), fresh methi leaves, jowar, bajra and wheat flour (i used multi grain atta). The video shows the woman soaking the roti in oil. I smear the roti/thelpa with either little ghee or olive oil after it is done or none at all. I did it without methi leaves a few times and it tasted fine. Healthy option to regular chappatis.

https://www.facebook.com/vegrecipesofindia/videos/1458287890905739/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down