Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Night Jokes Thread!

4 posters

Go down

Friday Night Jokes Thread! Empty Friday Night Jokes Thread!

Post by TruthSeeker Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Enough of all this &$^$^ in life I say. Modi in Silicon V, Syrian toddlers on shore, red/black nails. My daughter in pottery. Son playing XBOX-1, wife reading me sick jokes from Whatsapp.  

Uff I say.

Lets start a trend of Weekly jokes, or even a short story.

Here is my contribution tonight:

Enjoy,
TS.

'Masterji' a short story by Ruskin Bond

I WAS STROLLING ALONG  the platform, waiting for the arrival of the Amritsar Express, when I saw Mr Khushal, handcuffed to policeman.

I hadn't recognized him at first—a paunchy gentleman with a lot of grey in his beard and a certain arrogant amusement in his manner. It was only when I came closer, and we were almost face to face, that I recognized my old Hindi teacher.

Startled, I stopped and stared. And he stared back at me, a glimmer of recognition in his eyes. It was over twenty years since I'd last seen him, standing jauntily before the classroom blackboard, and now here he was tethered to a policeman and looking as jaunty as ever . . 'Good—good evening, sir,' I stammered, in my best public school manner. (You must always respect your teacher, no matter what the circumstances.)

Mr Khushal's face lit up with pleasure. 'So you remember me! It's nice to see you again, my boy.'

Forgetting that his right hand was shackled to the policeman's left, I made as if to shake hands. Mr Khushal thoughtfully took my right hand in his left and gave it a rough squeeze. A faint odour of cloves and cinnamon reached me, and I remembered how he had always been redolent of spices when standing beside my desk, watching me agonize over my Hindi-English translation.

He had joined the school in 1948, not long after the Partition. Until then there had been no Hindi teacher; we'd been taught Urdu and French. Then came a ruling that Hindi was to be a compulsory subject, and at the age of sixteen I found myself struggling with a new script. When Mr Khushal joined the staff (on the recommendation of a local official), there was no one else in the school who knew Hindi, or who could assess Mr Khushal's abilities as a teacher . And now once again he stood before me, only this time he was in the custody of the law.

I was still recovering from the shock when the train drew in, and everyone on the platform began making a rush for the compartment doors. As the policeman elbowed his way through the crowd, I kept close behind him and his charge, and as a result I managed to get into the same third-class compartment. I found a seat right opposite Mr Khushal. He did not seem to be the least bit embarrassed by the handcuffs, or by the stares of his fellow-passengers. Rather, it was the policeman who looked unhappy and ill-at-ease.
As the train got under way, I offered Mr Khushal one of the parathas made for me by my Ferozepur landlady. He accepted it with alacrity. I offered one to the constable as well, but although he looked at it with undisguised longing, he felt duty-bound to decline.

'Why have they arrested you, sir?' I asked. 'Is it very serious?'

'A trivial matter,' said Mr Khushal. 'Nothing to worry about. I shall be at liberty soon.'

'But what did you do?'

Mr Khushal leant forward. 'Nothing to be ashamed of/ he said in a confiding tone. 'Even a great teacher like Socrates fell foul of the law.'

'You mean—one of your pupil's—made a complaint?'

'And why should one of my pupils make a complaint?' Mr Khushal looked offended. 'They were the beneficiaries—it was for them.' He noticed that I looked mystified, and decided to come straight to the point: 'It was simply a question of false certificates.'

'Oh,' I said, feeling deflated. Public school boys are always prone to jump to the wrong conclusions . . .

'Your certificates, sir?'

'Of course not. Nothing wrong with my certificates—I had them printed in Lahore, in 1946.' 'With age comes respectability/ I remarked. 'In that case, whose . . .?'

'Why, the matriculation certificates I've been providing all these years to the poor idiots who would never have got through on their own!'

'You mean you gave them your own certificates?'

'That's right. And if it hadn't been for so many printing mistakes, no one would have been any wiser. You can't find a good press these days, that's the trouble .... It was a public service, my boy, I hope you appreciate that .... It isn't fair to hold a boy back in life simply because he can't get through some puny exam .... Mind you, I don't give my certificates to anyone. They come to me only after they have failed two or three times.'

'And I suppose you charge something?'

'Only if they can pay. There's no fixed sum. Whatever they like to give me. I've never been greedy in these matters, and you know I am not unkind . . . .'
Which is true enough, I thought, looking out of the carriage window at the green fields of Moga and remembering the half-yearly Hindi exam when I had stared blankly at the question paper, knowing that I was totally incapable of answering any of it. Mr Khushal had come walking down the line of desks and stopped at mine, breathing cloves all over me. 'Come on, boy, why haven't you started?'

'Can't do it sir,' I'd said. 'It's too difficult.'

'Never mind,' he'd urged in a whisper. 'Do something. Copy it out, copy it out!'

And so, to pass the time, I'd copied out the entire paper, word for word. And a fortnight later, when the results were out, I found I had passed!

'But, sir,' I had stammered, approaching Mr Khushal when I found him alone, 'I never answered the paper. I couldn't translate the passage. All I did was copy it out!'

'That's why I gave you pass-marks,' he'd answered imperturbably. 'You have such neat handwriting. If ever you do learn Hindi, my boy, you'll write a beautiful script!'

And remembering that moment, I was now filled with compassion for my old teacher; and leaning across, I placed my hand on his knee and said: 'Sir, if they convict you, I hope it won't be for long. And when you come out, if you happen to be in Delhi or Ferozepur, please look me up. You see, I'm still rather hopeless at Hindi, and perhaps you could give me tuition. I'd be glad to pay . . . .'

Mr Khushal threw back his head and laughed, and the entire compartment shook with his laughter.

'Teach you Hindi!' he cried. 'My dear boy, what gave you the idea that I ever knew any Hindi?'

'But, sir—if not Hindi what were you teaching us all the time at school?'

'Punjabi!' he shouted, and everyone jumped in their seats. 'Pure Punjabi! But how were you to know the difference?'

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Friday Night Jokes Thread! Empty Re: Friday Night Jokes Thread!

Post by seven Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:32 am

lol!  I didn't see that coming hahahha good one TS

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:28 pm

i knew that the northindians are ignorant about southindian languages. but about their own languages too?

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesCorlette Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:11 am

Montessori people group school network simply shared the adorable so, I can find writing services from essays uk to complete my home tasks, and passionate image of youngsters who do digest craftsmanship and draw their feelings on paper so I truly like the thriving of this image who lessens kids to accomplish such pleasant work.

JamesCorlette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down