Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some things you can't forget and shouldn't forget

2 posters

Go down

Some things you can't forget and shouldn't forget Empty Some things you can't forget and shouldn't forget

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:26 pm

When I was going to university of Hawaii (Honolulu) first time in Sept. 1970 to pursue my M.S. degree after completing B.Tech at IIT KGP earlier that year, I had been able to arrange for only about 3000 rupees at home (in Ansoli, H.P.) before heading to Calcutta where a travel agent, after hearing about my U.S. university admission and receiving the relevant paperwork from me at IITKGP in April,  had been working on my behalf for my Indian passport, U.S. visa and the air ticket.

When I arrived in Calcutta in late Aug. after spending the summer at home in H.P., my travel agent had already completed most of the paperwork including the air ticket (Calcutta-Tokyo-Honolulu) and the flight reservations soon. As I finished the remaining last minute tasks with his help and there was only a day left for my departure to the U.S., I asked him about the bill for everything which he mentioned  nearly 5000 rupees (rupee used to be a strong currency during those days).

His reply (5000 rupees) made me quite nervous. I explained to him my situation  that I had only 3000 rupees with me because I had not been able to raise any more money than that.

Then  I requested him  to  allow me a   2000 rupee credit, after my payment of 3000 rupees. I also suggested that I would send him this amount immediately (within a month or so) after arriving in the U.S. and receiving  money in financial assistantship at the university.

Otherwise, as I continued, I would have to go back home (H.P.) empty handed and all our efforts so far (his and mine)  would go to waste.

The travel agent thought for a moment and handed over to me the paperwork (my passport  / visa and air ticket) and wished me "Von voyage".  I gave him  3000 rupees in cash, said thanks and departed. There was no IOU etc. from me to the travel agent  / agency. 

About a month later, after arriving in the U.S. and settling down at the university (Honolulu), I wrote a nice thank you letter to the travel agent and his company in Calcutta and added a cheque with it for 2000 rupees (in U.S. dollars). I have never forgotten this very timely and enormous help / consideration from someone who was only a casual acquaintance to me.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of travel agent and travel agency now; that travel agency then (1970),  based in Calcutta, was the main organizer of travel needs for IIT KGP students going abroad for studies.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Some things you can't forget and shouldn't forget Empty Re: Some things you can't forget and shouldn't forget

Post by desi aunty Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:52 pm

good story! very nice of that agent, and equally nice of you to send the money over. 

my journey here was smooth, smooth cop inquiry for passport, helpful college staff, registrar, teachers who willingly helped filling up all college admission requirements, be it releasing transcripts or degree. I didn't think much of it until i met kids from other bigger cities where they had to bribe for every little thing every step of the way (maybe not teachers, forgetting). Made my own experience feel much sweeter. All i did was give 50 or 100 rupees to the postman, but mostly coz he seemed happier than me for bringing the degree, and asked for laddus or something, haha. 

i never forget people who have helped me through tough times, whether directly or indirectly. The very fact that they cared and gave your their time and ear is enough for a lifetime of gratitude. People may sometimes just pretend to care and would be having some ulterior motive, so sometimes you do attract negative people or abusive friends. But the ones who can do this for hours, days, months, even years, are real gems. always always be grateful to them and reciprocate when you can. never take them for granted.

desi aunty

Back to top Go down

Some things you can't forget and shouldn't forget Empty Re: Some things you can't forget and shouldn't forget

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:05 am

Tracy, thanks.

There was an email from one of my IIT KGP batchmates (yr.1970) a few days ago, which had a nice story about a stranger at the airline counter in USA helping another passenger ahead of him in line by paying money for the extra baggage, which the passenger in front could not do (pay) himself due to lack of money and the airline wouldn't let him fly without paying.

In reply to that email and as an example of much needed help by a total stranger (unrelated person), I added my experience with the travel agent, later posted here in the above.

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down