Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wines under US $10 a bottle

2 posters

Go down

wines under US $10 a bottle Empty wines under US $10 a bottle

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 pm

i'd like to revive this thread i started in CH a long time ago. i'll post my own recos from time to time and would appreciate others' opinions whenever they find something drinkable. the only requirements are that it be under $10 and drinkable.

today we're drinking a 2008 monte oton garnacha (known around these parts as grenache) at $7.99 a bottle. very plummy spicy wine. not too complex or anything but just very drinkable on a friday evening.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

wines under US $10 a bottle Empty Re: wines under US $10 a bottle

Post by charvaka Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:19 pm

Today we are drinking a Malbec... Graffigina reserve 2008. Very nice. If I remember right I got it for $9 at BevMo.

Just the recommendations, sans the repartee, from the original thread: http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/wines-under-10-bottle-1061468.htm
i'd like to start a thread on sensational wines under US $10/bottle. tonight we are drinking a spanish wine - a 2006 tempranillo (a spanish red varietal) from the marques de riscal vineyard. got a bottle for US $6.99. amazingly plummy, fruity and easy drinking. goes very well with my wife's aglio e olio.
not super sensational but very drinkable -- pepperwood grove pinot noir at $5.49/bottle at my local priceclub.
My liquor store guy recommended me Rosemount Merlot South Eastern Australia 2008. It's 7/bottle and I picked up a case. No idea how it tastes though since I don't drink wine but just serve it to bishes and take it to friends' homes when we visit.
columbia crest two vines cabernet sauvignon; @ $6.99/bottle, this is an excellent buy. very nice. not very complex like the usual cabs, but very drinkable.
have you tried spice wines? the ones that are warmed up? my faves are sweet white or rose with alcohol content under 10%. otherwise, i almost always stick to 12.5% or less 'coz more concentration, imo, kills the flavor. and that eliminates most south american and mediterranean wines, so i rarely find anything decent under $10. i've also noted that cheaper wines dont last as long and turn vinegar within a day.

around ny, several liquor stores carry local wines from upstate and long island vineyards (pindar is a popular brand though a bit overrated here imo) and some are infact very good. last year i discovered an israeli red that was amazing.
I don't drink wine. I get yellowtail merlot to feed to the broads who visit. They're happy with it. 7/bottle I think. None of the guys in my group drink wine either. It's either vodka or scotch; beer in summer.
I like Mendoza Malbec -- recent vintages often go for under $10 at BevMo. Also a bunch of California / Australia Shirazes at that price point. I am not much of a white wine drinker, but like Coppola's 2006 Pinot Grigio for when my wife wants to drink wine. Highly recommend the Navarro Gewurtzraminer from just outside the Alexander Valley in California -- usually goes for about $15, but great. Navarro also does a very flavorful grape juice, if you don't feel like wine.
I normally keep a bunch of white zin's handy (berenger). Costco carries them at dirt cheap prices. These tend to be fruity, all occasion stuff- not exactly a wine enthusiast's dream, but seems to fit the bill for light socializing. The rest of my collection is merlots and cabs. Incidentally, would recommend wineries in the east bay- there are abt 20-30 of them. Closer than Napa/sonoma, but fairly decent quality. Would recommend Wente among the bigger ones and for dessert wines, Chouinard (this one is family run)
Most of the Chilean wines in the market are under $10. Many of the ones I've had were pretty good, but I can't recall the names. My jaw dropped when I saw the same wines retailing in India at $40+, thanks to the obscene import duties.

I used to pick up Redwood Creek Merlot from our local grocery store for some $6.99 -- damn good wine for that money. For outdoor cookouts, my fave was Foetzer's Chenin Blanc - just over $10. They also had a very nice Riesling that was always a hit with the ladies.
I am fond of Trader Joe's Charles Shaw Brands (Merlot, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon) which sell for $1.99 (Yea, Yea you can call me a $2 Hoochster :-)). Most times the quality is good and sometimes the quality is really good (thats when you go and buy a case).
Trader Joe has some nice Australian and Sout American wines for less than $10. Penmara is an Aussie brand, Casillero de Diablo is Chilean I think.
They also have a brand called Novella which has a sweet tasting white wine suitable for beginner drinkers.
Among wines sold in other stores, B.V.Coastal estates is a good value for money wine at $10. Francis Ford Coppola's winery has some nice tasting wines at $12-$15.
Thumbs up on the Coppola..
Another old reliable is a Kendall-Jackson..
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 08, 2011 7:23 pm

2009 castano monastrell a spanish yecla wine. never had this yecla varietal before. it's a very dark but simple wine. plummy with coffee flavors. i picked up a couple of bottles at $9 each.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:35 pm

working through a bottle of dancing bull zinfandel. yummy. very plummy and goes very well with a simple meal of linguine with asparagus, salad greens, cherry tomatoes and a nice garlicky-lemony homemade dressing, and some fresh mozarella and tomatoes with basil leaves drizzled with some EVO.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum