Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you drinking right now?

+34
Petrichor
goodcitizn
Tejpal Singh Iyer
FluteHolder
carlfraine
TruthSeeker
nevada
iTEDx
Captain Bhankas
bw
southindian
pravalika nanda
Bittu
Propagandhi711
pravalika
Mr. T
Kris
garam_kuta
Rekz
MaxEntropy_Man
sarath
.|Sublime|.
doofus_maximus
charvaka
Nila
artood2
tapori
Arwen LOTR
Impedimenta
Another Brick
Mosquito
rawemotions
Merlot Daruwala
Hellsangel
38 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

What are you drinking right now? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Hellsangel Thu May 05, 2011 11:16 pm

At the bar? This was in bottle. Not on tap.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

What are you drinking right now? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu May 05, 2011 11:22 pm

no wonder you like this site

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu May 05, 2011 11:23 pm

Yes. the image sharing is a nice feature and I can do it in (almost) real time. Besides, the images are mostly for MD's benefit.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 06, 2011 11:02 pm

glenlivet 15 years. good stuff.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 07, 2011 10:07 pm

more of the glenlivet as i am getting my saturday night blues fix.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sat May 07, 2011 10:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:more of the glenlivet as i am getting my saturday night blues fix.
Glenfiddich here. Waiting for guests to arrive. Why is it acceptable among desis to be late to social occasions?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 07, 2011 10:15 pm

charvaka wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:more of the glenlivet as i am getting my saturday night blues fix.
Glenfiddich here. Waiting for guests to arrive. Why is it acceptable among desis to be late to social occasions?

can't help you with that, but good single malt scotch is the perfect accompaniment for the blues.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Sun May 08, 2011 12:16 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:glenlivet 15 years. good stuff.

I got introduced to single malts by my friend when I was visiting Boston. Fell in love with them. Glenlivet is good!
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2011 12:20 am

PseudoIntellectual wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:glenlivet 15 years. good stuff.

I got introduced to single malts by my friend when I was visiting Boston. Fell in love with them. Glenlivet is good!

do you drink it on the rocks, with soda or scotland water? tell tell. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 08, 2011 10:30 am

on the rocks.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2011 11:00 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:on the rocks.

fine. i am going to take out my double black label and drink it on the rocks tonight. and i'll post a pic. i've taken enough insult already. no more blenders pride with soda.

edit. to add

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Sun May 08, 2011 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 08, 2011 11:08 am

when i don't feel like pampering myself and just want a good stiff drink, famous grouse is an excellent blended scotch. i like it better than black label and the price is better than black label.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2011 11:13 am

interesting. i just read it up. it is a blended whiskey. does it taste muted like many blended whiskeys or like the single malts (like double black label does)? i'll have to try lay my hands on a famous grouse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2011 12:01 pm

i'm on a highway to hell. one patiala peg of this has sprung me like *what's a good metaphor* a rubber band. double black label it is, on the rocks, for tonight. i'll post again if i'm still alive tomorrow.

What are you drinking right now? - Page 2 Imag0013

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2011 12:10 pm

i don't understand this fascination people have for finding good "taste" in alcoholic beverages. if you want tasty stuff, go eat tasty food. plenty of taste there. it gets confusing when you can no longer remember why you like your drinks -- for taste or for the temporary high? uff, random thoughts on a random sunday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2011 12:24 pm

I get buzzed way too soon... some people envy me for this 'quality', as they think this can save so much money if they could get buzzed in like 1/4th drinks that they actually need. When I began my last job 5 years ago, this limit was half glass of wine, and one of my colleagues used to actually wait for me to finish that half glass so that he could drink the other half. Their first annual goal was to 'get tracy to finish one glass of wine'. By the time I was done with that job, 4 years later, this threshold increased to 2 glasses of vodka cocktails, and 1 glass of wine.... they must be proud of what they achieved with me I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i don't understand this fascination people have for finding good "taste" in alcoholic beverages. if you want tasty stuff, go eat tasty food. plenty of taste there. it gets confusing when you can no longer remember why you like your drinks -- for taste or for the temporary high? uff, random thoughts on a random sunday.

because in plenty of cultures, particularly european cultures, food and drink go hand in glove. drink is as much a gustatory experience as drink is. in fact the notion of drinking to get buzzed is found only in urban upper middle class india and amongst some idiotic college going americans.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2011 12:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:because in plenty of cultures, particularly european cultures, food and drink go hand in glove. drink is as much a gustatory experience as drink is. in fact the notion of drinking to get buzzed is found only in urban upper middle class india and amongst some idiotic college going americans.

I agree with you about enjoying alcohol like food, I totally disagree that in those European cultures, people don't drink to get buzzed... Explain October fest in germany, and countless pubs in England and all over Europe, where people go after work, no matter what class they are from.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:I totally disagree that in those European cultures, people don't drink to get buzzed...

i so totally agree with you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun May 08, 2011 9:08 pm

For you, MD
What are you drinking right now? - Page 2 Imag0315
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon May 09, 2011 8:52 am

i drank fosters and tuborg on saturday night despite early indications of sore throat and now i have caught severe cold. had to take today off and now i am drinking warm water.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 09, 2011 9:08 am

I had lots of Corona on Saturday night, sitting in the rooftop bar of a five-star hotel, watching the sun set over the Arabian Sea. Back to coffee today.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 9:43 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I had lots of Corona on Saturday night, sitting in the rooftop bar of a five-star hotel

several years ago, my brother in law and i had had lots of corona in a 5 star. they had just launched it and the promotional price was dirt cheap. after our 10th or 12th bottle, we had both looked at each other quizzically. where was the buzz? then we had quickly downed three tequila shots and left. i wonder if it's still the same story.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 09, 2011 11:24 am

is corona considered some kind of gourmet beer in india? how about dos equis? so the craft brewing industry hasn't really caught on in india yet?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon May 09, 2011 11:26 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:is corona considered some kind of gourmet beer in india? how about dos equis? so the craft brewing industry hasn't really caught on in india yet?
Once upon a time, Danny Denzongpa started a brewery called Yuksom Breweries.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 09, 2011 11:27 am

who is danny denzongpa? sounds like a sherpa. is he a mountaineer?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 11:28 am

danny denzongpa is a famous b'wood actor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon May 09, 2011 11:28 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:who is danny denzongpa? sounds like a sherpa. is he a mountaineer?
Have you watched Endhiran?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 09, 2011 11:30 am

no. so he is an actor? i am going to google. that's too cool a name -- danny denzongpa.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 11:30 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:is corona considered some kind of gourmet beer in india?

no we are not that stupid. we look stupid but we aren't. you are not familiar with how new entrants market their product here. pushing the product at a promotional price in a 5 star is among the first few things they do. everyday, a new wine is being offered on the house or at a discounted price in a 5 star.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 11:33 am

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:is corona considered some kind of gourmet beer in india? how about dos equis? so the craft brewing industry hasn't really caught on in india yet?

yes. they produced a great beer too. i forget the name. i think it was called 100 pipers or sandpipers or something (not whiskey). i only tasted it once. couldn't find it after that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 11:36 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:no. so he is an actor? i am going to google. that's too cool a name -- danny denzongpa.

yeah, he himself is pretty cool... plays both positive and negative character... we once watched a Danny movie with my effervescent mami, and he played a negative character in it, it was a pretty sinister character... taking revenge on the hero by coming in front of his minor daughter every where...

e'time he entered the scene she would begin getting nervous, 'ohho aa gaya Dannny'... 'hai hai, dannnny'... and so on.... now in my brother and my memory, who watched this entire movie with her in our living room, dannnny is forever etched into our memory, spoken in a very agra accent... and mami comes to my mind everytime dannnnny is mentioned.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 09, 2011 11:37 am

does india produce any styles of beer other than garden variety lagers? i remember in my youth besides the ubiquitous kingfisher there used to be some exotic sounding beers that went by the name of london pilsner, bombay pilsner etc. then there was kalyani. i didn't know better back then, but now having developed a discerning palate, and i hate to sound snobbish, i think most indian beer is to put it charitably, plonk. even kingfisher is plonk. i drink it when i am india so as not to offend people.

eta: then there was the horrible meakin series; meakin 10000, 20000 or whatever. more plonk.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 11:46 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:eta: then there was the horrible meakin series; meakin 10000, 20000 or whatever

inflation. india is a hyperinflationary country saar. what to do, what to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 09, 2011 11:51 am

in the liquor store recently i saw some fairly expensively priced single malt whiskey from india called amrut or something. one of them was priced at US $300 for a 750 ml bottle. for that price, i am assuming this is a really good whiskey. has anyone had any here?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 09, 2011 12:52 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:but now having developed a discerning palate, and i hate to sound snobbish, i think most indian beer is to put it charitably, plonk.

It's beer for god's sake. One chugs it down for the refreshing feel and after sufficient chugging, the buzz. Discerning palates should stick to drinks that can be sniffed and daintily sipped without looking er.. silly.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 09, 2011 12:58 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

yes. they produced a great beer too. i forget the name. i think it was called 100 pipers or sandpipers or something (not whiskey). i only tasted it once. couldn't find it after that.

Oh yeah, I remember sandpiper. Years ago, when all liquor stores in Delhi were government controlled (dunno if that's changed), one had no control over what brand of beer one would get after jostling with the mob in front of the store. If one got Sandpiper, one thanked one's lucky stars - was much better than any of the eminently forgettable, never-heard-before, never-heard-after brands one had to perforce purchase.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Oh yeah, I remember sandpiper. Years ago, when all liquor stores in Delhi were government controlled (dunno if that's changed), one had no control over what brand of beer one would get after jostling with the mob in front of the store. If one got Sandpiper, one thanked one's lucky stars - was much better than any of the eminently forgettable, never-heard-before, never-heard-after brands one had to perforce purchase.

yesssss. i had had it in delhi in hotel diplomat on sardar patel marg.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 1:08 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:One chugs it down for the refreshing feel

yes, "refreshing feel" is an important factor. i like how we are narrowing down. after a tough day, i do want to drink/sip something refreshing to unwind and not necessarily something bitter.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 09, 2011 1:45 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:but now having developed a discerning palate, and i hate to sound snobbish, i think most indian beer is to put it charitably, plonk.

It's beer for god's sake. One chugs it down for the refreshing feel and after sufficient chugging, the buzz. Discerning palates should stick to drinks that can be sniffed and daintily sipped without looking er.. silly.

but that is the point i am trying to make. the lawnmower beers are there of course, but there is an entire world of beers not in the lawnmower category that can't just be chugged -- the world of barleywines, india pale ales, imperial stouts, belgian dubbels and tripels, the maibocks, the double bocks and so on. where do you put these? so statements like beer is to be chugged are just plain ignorant.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue May 10, 2011 12:55 am

Sure, there are many types of beers in this world. As with anything related to taste, everyone will have their likes and dislikes. If you prefer bitter-as-medicine or motor-oil like varietals that can't be chugged without triggering projectile vomiting, feel free to sniff, swirl and sip them.

But elevating your preferences and attributing those to a discerning palate not only sounds snobbish - much as you hate sounding so - but silly as well. Wouldn't you laugh at a Coke drinker dissing Pepsi and attributing his own preference to a discerning palate?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 10, 2011 8:02 am

but with the exception of the india pale ale and the barleywine all the other beers on my list are downright malty sweet. they aren't bitter.

i am only objecting to your categorical statement and the general deification of wine and scotch and the poor reputation of beer. at best it's thought of as some spritzy drink and at worst as a blue collar drink. none of these descriptions match reality.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 10, 2011 8:17 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:... bitter-as-medicine or motor-oil like varietals that can't be chugged without triggering projectile vomiting, feel free to sniff, swirl and sip them.

rofllll.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13, 2011 7:04 am

hot water

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13, 2011 11:28 am

hot water on the rocks or with soda or scotch?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 17, 2011 9:28 pm

What are you drinking right now? - Page 2 Imag0412
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed May 18, 2011 11:15 pm

I feel drunk...such was the effect of this thread bounce
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon May 23, 2011 9:13 pm

What are you drinking right now? - Page 2 Imag0413
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 27, 2011 11:43 pm

Hellsangel wrote:What are you drinking right now? - Page 2 Imag0412

first beer in this thread of any consequence. good choice.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri May 27, 2011 11:52 pm

Thank you for your approval, Il Professorre. I am in an Irish bar in the Big Apple.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next